- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1979
- B.A., magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1976
- Partner, Trachtenberg Rodes & Friedberg LLP, 1988-Present
- Litigation Associate, Willkie Farr & Gallagher, 1979-1988
- New York State Bar, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1981
- 2009-2013 New York Super Lawyer
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Board, ICF Industries, Inc.
- Past Treasurer, International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists, American Section
|ABOUT THE FIRM||REPRESENTATIVE CLIENTS||NEWS||CONTACT US|
DAVID G. TRACHTENBERG, PartnerDuring more than 30 years in the law, David's practice has included all aspects of dispute resolution, including federal and state trial court and appellate work, arbitration, mediation, and advisory work respecting how to avoid litigation and how to resolve business conflicts on favorable commercial terms. David has also advised numerous clients regarding their corporate and commercial matters. In addition, he has served as the general counsel of a filament yarn distribution company, a role in which he gained a client’s perspective on the management of numerous business, financial and legal problems, successfully lobbied Congress for changes in the tariff laws, and had frontline responsibility for the financial, operational and legal aspects of a large overseas start-up industrial venture.
Litigation Practice Areas
- Shareholder, Partner and Limited Liability Company Member Disputes
- Securities and Securities Fraud
- Real Estate
- Insurance Coverage
- Employment Law
- Restrictive Covenants
- Life Settlements
Selected Significant Matters
- Represented high-tech medical start-up company developing a new scanning device for detection of early-stage breast cancer and its chairman in 1) defense of claims of securities fraud in multi-plaintiff action in federal district court in Austin, Texas; 2) accompanying SEC investigation; and 3) New Jersey Superior Court action against directors and officers liability carrier which initially refused to provide coverage but which ultimately financed the overwhelming majority of all defense and settlement costs.
- Represented major money market fund in "breaking the buck" litigation in Southern District of New York initiated by major banks. Banks sought to remand common law claims which had been removed to federal court on the grounds that they involved the interpretation of the federal Investment Company Act of 1940. Action involved hundreds of millions of dollars arising out of failure of the money market fund in the wake of the collapse of Lehman Brothers.
- Represented life settlements company in Southern District of New York actions against hedge fund for breach of contract and in hedge fund’s Chapter 11 proceeding in United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware.
- Represented cooperative corporations owning luxury residential towers in claims asserted against former insurance broker for recovery of overcharges and damages.
- Represented offshore investment fund in defense of claims brought by Bear Stearns alleging breach of contract to sell trade claim.
- Represented real estate developer in New York Supreme Court Commercial Division action and in AAA arbitration proceeding in dispute with owner of retail space in developer's building arising out of tenancy in common and development agreement regarding mixed use residential and commercial building in New York City.